If your class is acting unruly, a 'near death' feeling illness that knocks you out for a while might just do the trick to turning them around! This first month or so of school has been uncannily riddled with illness after illness for kids and teachers alike. I think I've had maybe 3 whole days of having my entire class at school all day. I guess it was inevitable that one of those days it would be me layed up. Sure enough, after a week of working through a strange feeling of unease and exhaustion I finally got my butt kicked by something that layed me out flat! I went to the doctor and she recommended that I didn't go back to school for that entire week. I had never been out that long so I got kinda freaked out at the prospect of having to plan for a sub for that many days. I'm usually really thorough in my planning because, being a prior sub, I know how stressful it is to walk into a room and not know what's going on. In my current state, I just didn't have the energy to go to school and spend the necessary time to get everything planned, set up, layed out and copied. I've learned, however, to take doctors seriously when they tell you not to do something so I made my sweet husband drive me to school so I could prepare to be gone.
Well, along with getting things ready for a sub there's also finding the sub in and of itself! I have a few favorites who always leave my room tidy and write thorough notes but of course they were all busy with other jobs throughout the week. So in a moment of 'I'm sick...whatever..' I put the absence up for the general population. Boy did I hit the jackpot!
From what I hear, my class haven't been angels this week as I suspected. They're pushing buttons and bending rules with the guise that 'our real teacher lets us do it'. Punks. But the sub is being firm and frank with them so they're not having as much fun as they thought they might. Don't underestimate 5th graders, people. Teens are getting younger!
My heart sung when our school guidance counselor texted me yesterday. Apparently one of my more...hmm...challenging boys came to her with a question. He wanted to know if I was ever coming back and if I could die from this pneumonia thing. She assured him I would be back soon and he sighed (with relief I'm sure) and left. This tells me one of two things; either I'm a great teacher with super fun lessons or the sub is making me look like I am! Keep it up, Sub! I look forward to getting my kids back and having them hang on my every word because they've missed me so much! That will be a great 2 hours!
Teacher Tip #9 When in need of a long term sub, ask around for a list of subs that the kids have liked. Then, request no one on that list!
No comments:
Post a Comment